It's the season of NARO Summer Open Day!
Sponsored by NARO (NARO Headquarters, NARO/ARC, NICS, NIVTS), and together with research institutes in the neighborhood, we welcome you to visit our Summer Open Day, with its wide variety of events and programs. There will also be tips and ideas for your homework for the summer holidays.
|Photos of last year's events
July 26th, 2014 (Sat)9:30AM-4:00PM (Entrance until 3:30PM)
- The hours of the Tsukuba Agriculture Research Hall will be 9:30AM - 4:00PM on Summer Open Day (usually 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM)
- The National Institute for Agro-Environmental Sciences (NIAES) will be holding its Summer Open Day (9:30AM -4:00PM), and the two venues will be connected by a free shuttle bus (5 minute-ride).
Tsukuba Agriculture Research Hall
3-1-1 Kannondai, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-8517
Click here for the area map. If you are coming by car, please note that the usual road is closed to the public on the Summer Open Day, and please follow the guidance of the traffic control staff in parking your car.
Click here[PDF:812KB] for the Parking Map.
Events and Programs
- The event may be changed or cancelled without notice.
- The tasting, souvenirs and experience sections can accommodate only a limited number of visitors.
The mini-presentations will focus on things related to our daily life, and are aimed at a general audience.
- Power of barley dietary fiber
- The cabbage was big
- Let's get to know about virus of vegetables
- Story of the smell of delicious apple
Let's Have Fun with Science!
- Feeder and guard of crops
- Let's carry agricultural products by robot
- Let's observe the symptoms of Tobacco mosaic virus(TMV) and detect protein from it
- Mineral board will expand / Let's make soap bubbles
- Try with your parents!! "Let's extract DNA from foods around us"
- Food quiz
- Let's make color water from vegetables
- How many rice can you count? Quiz and demonstration
Let's Taste the Research Products!
- Moist and tasty brown rice flour bread
- Power of dietary fiber of barley foods: sponge cake and barley tea
- Pizza making-experience with 'Yumeshiho' wheat flour
- Let's watch the ground from high above using a simple balloon camera
- Let's explore the law of nature by enjoying whistle-making
- Rice husking-experience
- Pounding-experience of steamed rice for mochi
- Making straw sandals/ Grinding-experience with a stone mortar
- Exhibition of agricultural machines
- Let's have fun with weeds
- Crop Sample Garden
- Let's play fishing with Narorin♪ Introducing NARO achievements
- Enjoy the color of Japanese apricot "Tsuyuakane" syrup
- Display of the motorized planting device for rice transplanter
- Shop selling NARO achievements, books and drinks
Let's extract the DNA
Grinding with a stone mortar
Crop Sample Garden
- Some of our buildings are getting construction for anti-earthquake reinforcement. Please ensure your safety. Thank you for your understanding.
- Please prepare for high temperatures by bringing beverages, etc. (Drinks will be on sale at the venue).
- Stamps for the Chibikko-Hakase 2014 are available at the venue.
- Please check the evacuation site in the map you will receive at the reception in case of emergency.
- There will be a possibility of news media presence.