Cross-ministerial Strategic Innovation Promotion Program(SIP)
Technologies for smart bio-industry and agriculture
There is an urgent need to expand bioeconomy and improve productivity and competitiveness of relevant sectors (i.e. food, agriculture, forestry and fisheries) in order to ensure sustainability of food supply. The national program "Technologies for smart bio-industry and agriculture" was launched to contribute to the society, to meet such needs with the following society goals proposed by "Bio-Strategies 2019 and 2020":
- a society in which all related industries are working together to support circular economy,
- a society in which sustainable production addresses diverse needs,
- a society in which bioprocessed materials are integrated through sustainable manufacturing methods, and,
- a society in which medical and health care effectively support pleasant long life and social contribution of people.
To achieve the sustainability of food supply, "smart food system" will be developed, which may be followed even after the SIP program period, and is expected to contribute to the global environment sustainability as an example of a circular economy.
Mr. Noriaki Kobayashi
Director of the Board, Senior Executive Officer,
Kirin Holdings Co. Ltd.
SIP Program is under the initiative of Cabinet Office (CAO). For the info of the overall program, visit the following external site:(external link: CAO website)
- Cross-Ministerial Strategic Innovation Promotion Program(SIP)
- Overview of Cross-ministerial Strategic Innovation Promotion Program
- Brochure SIP " Pioneering the Future: Japanese Science, Technology and Innovation 2021"
BRAIN supports one of the 12 Programs under the framework of SIP, namely "Technologies for smart bio-industry and agriculture" as presented below
- Realization of food sustainability through next-generation bio-industry and agriculture
- Research and Development Plan (30 June, 2021, This translation is provided by BRAIN for reference purposes only)
Under the Program "Technologies for smart bio-industry and agriculture", international symposiums were held place annually:
- International Symposium: "Cross-ministerial Strategic Innovation Promotion Program (SIP) "Technologies for Smart Bio-industry and Agriculture"" (Oct 14, 2020)
- International Smart Food Chain Symposium 2020 held online (Nov 5, 2020)
- International Symposium - Aiming for DX(Digital Transformation) in Agriculture and Rural Areas through Robots and Data Utilization (Nov 30, 2021)
Publication and Press Release
- FOCAL POINT ON FOOD SECURITY IN JAPAN originally published in Nature, Vol. 588, No. 7836, (3 December 2020) (external link: Nature website):
PARTNER CONTENT (media.nature.com)
- Press Release-Fast and durable batteries to come: A Promising Anode Material for Lithium-Ion Batteries
(external link: Japan Advanced Institute of Science and Technology website)
Funding agencies involved in SIP
- New Energy and Industrial Technology Development Organization (NEDO) (external link: NEDO website)
- Japan Science and Technology Agency (JST) (external link: JST website)
email : brainSIP[at]ml.affrc.go.jp
- In sending messages, replace [at] with @ in the email addresses above.