Public Call for Project Manager
Bio-Oriented Technology Research Advancement Institution
Moonshot Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries Research and Development Program
Public Call for Project Manager:「Moonshot Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries Research and Development Program」
DATE : May the 11th,2020
Last update date : June the 9th,2020
Bio-Oriented Technology Research Advancement Institution (hereinafter referred to as "BRAIN") supports research and development on specific biotechnological industrial technology conducted by private companies, universities, national research and development corporations, prefectural experimental stations, and local independent administrative agencies. Based on the Moonshot R&D system, BRAIN will carry out "Moonshot Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries R&D Program" (hereinafter referred to as "this program").
For carrying out this project, BRAIN conducts the public call for Project Managers (PMs) who preside over the R&D projects (hereinafter referred to as "project") for realizing the R&D concept that defines the fields / areas in which the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries (hereinafter referred to as "MAFF") should promote the challenging R&D (hereinafter referred to as "the R&D concept") in order to achieve Moonshot Goal 5 "Creation of industry that enables sustainable global food supply by exploiting unused biological resources by 2050 ", which is one of the six Moonshot Goal determined by the Council for Science, Technology and Innovation (CSTI).
June the 9th,2020
- Uploaded the Q&A
May the 28th,2020
- Uploaded the Recruitment Explanatory Materials
May the 21th,2020
- Uploaded the Project Manager Application Guidelines
May the 19th,2020
- Uploaded the video of the explanatory meeting for this public call (in Japanese).
- Updated the information about individual consultation in inquiries section.
1. Program outline
CSTI determined to promote challenging R&D called Moonshot (hereinafter referred to as "MS"), based on ideas that are not just extensions of conventional technology to create disruptive innovation in Japan.
Based on the MS R&D system, BRAIN has established the fund as the research promotion agency that conducts the operations related to the R&D, and promotes challenging R&D toward the realization of the R&D concept in order to achieve the MS goal determined by CSTI.
(2) Program Description
In this program, the R&D which concentrates various research ideas is to be carried out based on the R&D concepts determined by MAFF, in order to achieve the MS goal determined by CSTI.
Please refer to the following for the MS goal and the R&D concept targeted for this public call.
- MS Goal
The goal of this program is "Creation of industry that enables sustainable global food supply by exploiting unused biological resources by 2050". For more information, please refer to Exhibit 1 of the Project Manager Aapplication Guidelines.
- The R&D Concept
The R&D concept describes the R&D cases that are assumed in achieving the MS goal and the direction of R&D toward achieving the MS target. For more information, please refer to Exhibit 2 of the Project Manager Aapplication Guidelines.
(3) Program Period
The period would be generally five years and maximum ten years, starting from 2020.
2. Public Call Period
May 11, 2020(Mon)～ July 20, 2020(Mon) 12pm(Japan time)
3. Project Manager Application Guidelines, Proposal Form
(1) The Project Manager Application Guidelines
- "Moonshot Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries Research and Development Program" Project Manager Application Guidelines [PDF: 5.3 MB]
- Exhibit 1 Moonshot Goal 5 [PDF: 163.6 KB]
- Exhibit 2 Moonshot Goal 5 Research and Development Coneption [PDF: 908.4 KB]
- Exhibit 3 Guidelines for the Operation and Evaluation of the Moonshot R& D Program [PDF: 299.5 KB]
- Exhibit 4 How to Apply Using the Ministries of the Cross-Ministerial Research and Development Management System (e-Rad) [PDF: 249.2 KB]
- Exhibit 5 Project Plan Proposal [word: 178.7 KB]
- Exhibit 6 Procedures e.g. Contracts for the Moonshot Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries Research and Development Program [PDF: 260.5 KB]
- (Appendix 1) Consortium Structure [PDF: 165.5 KB]
- (Appendix 2) 1. Administrative Flow from Application to Establishment of Contract [PDF: 236.7 KB]
- (Appendix 3) 2. Administrative Flow from Establishment of Contract to Determination of Payment Amount (in the Case of Payment by Estimate) [PDF: 236.1 KB]
- (Appendix 4) ○○ Consortium Agreement [word: 26.4 KB]
- (Appendix 5) [○○ Consortium Agreement] ○○ Consortium Paperwork Regulations [word: 23.3 KB]
- (Appendix 6) [○○ Consortium Agreement] ○○ Consortium Accounting Regulations [word: 27.9 KB]
- (Appendix 7) [○○ Consortium Agreement] ○○ Consortium Intellectual Property Rights Agreement [word: 20.4 KB]
- (Appendix 8) [○○ Consortium Agreement] ○○ Consortium Participation Agreement [word: 16.5 KB]
- (Appendix 9) [○○ Consortium Agreement] ○○ Consortium Agreement Consent Form [word: 14.8 KB]
- (Appendix 10) ○○ Joint Research Institute Agreement Form [word: 45.4 KB]
Note: (Appendix 4) ～ (Appendix 10) are uploaded in Japanese only.
- Exhibit 7 Intellectual Property Rights Agreement [word: 39.3 KB]
- Exhibit 8 Information Security Standards for Procurement [PDF: 458.6 KB]
- Exhibit 9 Additional Provisions for Ensuring Information Security in Procurement [PDF: 359.4 KB]
Note: The Japanese version is official, and the English version is provisional.
(2) Proposal Form (TBA)
- Exhibit 5 of the Project Manager Application Guidelines [word: 178.7 KB]
- Q&A concerning "Moonshot Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries R&D Program" public call for project manager [PDF: 135.8 KB]
(4) Explanatory meeting of this public call (video in Japanese)
From the perspective of preventing the further spread of new coronaviruses (COVID-19), we will not hold the explanatory meeting of this public call. Please watch the video materials related to the public call instead of the explanatory meeting.
- The material of the explanatory meeting of this public call. [External link]
- Project Manager Recruitment Explanatory Materials[PDF: 1.1 MB]
(5) Reference Information
- Moonshot Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries R&D Program(The outline of 2019 Supplementary budget)(MAFF) [External link] (in Japanese)
- Research ethics e-learning course (Japan Society for the Promotion of Science) [External link]
(6) Contract procedure
The representative organization to which the adopted PM belongs will directly execute the contract with BRAIN.
Please refer to Exhibit 6, "Moonshot Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries R&D Program" for more information regarding procedures for contracts, etc.
- Moonshot agriculture, forestry and fisheries R&D project examination research trust contract (draft) [PDF: 334 KB](Japanese Only)
※This form is subject to change hereafter.
Under the direction of the PD, the PM is to refine (review and materialize) the contents of the project proposed at the time of application. The refinement includes scenarios leading to the MS goal, project plans, addition or deletion of joint research institutions and cooperating institutions, and research costs.
Once the above projects planning have been completed, it will be possible to start the R&D by determining the portfolio, establishing a consortium, and contracting procedures, etc.
4. Application method for this public call
The R&D management system common to all ministries and agencies (hereinafter referred to as "e-Rad") is decided to use in applying, so please make an electronic application by referring to Exhibit 4 of the Project Manager Aapplication Guidelines. (Please note that we cannot accept submissions by Mail, Bring, Fax or E-mail.)
The candidate of PM should summarize the research content of the research group and apply.
- The operation manual of e-Rad for researchers [PDF: 5.0 MB]
5. The later schedule(tentative)
Note: The schedule is subject to change on account of the examination progress etc.
Please refrain from consulting or contacting the Program Director (PD) directly, including the content of public call, proposals, and examination.Depending on the content and time of your question, it may be difficult to answer, so please contact us in well advance.
【Regarding this public call】
Strategic research development division
E-mail : seiken-moonshot[at]ml.affrc.go.jp
Please Replace[at]with @.
【Regarding the contract procedure】
Research management division
E-mail : seiken-moonshot[at]ml.affrc.go.jp
Please Replace[at]with @.
Basically, we use the web conference system (Skype for Business) for individual consultations concerning this public call. In case the system is not available, you can consult with us by telephone, however, please understand that there are retrictions because we are working from home. Depending on the content of the consultation, we may respond by e-mail. Please note that there is a possibility that we might not be able to answer a part of your question depending on the content, in the interest of selection fairness. Anyone who wishes to conduct an individual consultation session is asked to notify us via the above e-mail address by noon of July 6th (Mon).(Japan Standard Time) Individual consultations will be held until July 13th(Mon). We will inform you on HP when it is possible to conduct directly face-to-face consultation given the to the infection status of the COVID-19.
Please apply for an individual consultation with the following contents.
The Subject of e-mail:"Request for individual consultation : Moonshot Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries Research and Development Program(Affiliation / Name)"
The body of e-mail:Please ensure to fill in the following information.
・Summary of consultation
・Date and time for an Individual consultation, preferred dates for consultation (Please indicate multiple desired dates, excluding Saturdays and Sundays, and other holidays in Japan)
Note:Individual consultations will be held until July 13th (Mon).
【Regarding the e-Rad System】
e-Rad Help Desk
Telephone : +81570-066-877 (Navi Dial), +813-6631-0622 (direct number)
Web-site [External link]